Saturday, January 20, 2007

My surroundings

After a detailed 'exploration' of my 'new world', I am posting some pictures of lab floor entrance, view from the 9th floor, my university entrance and my apartment in downtown Dallas. I live in the 'Inwood on the park' apartments, about 20 metres (ya u read it right its metres = 100 cm) from my univ.

The close proximity puts me in a convenient position to

1. Work (???) latenights
2. Avoid getting a car
3. Dodge public transportation (which is useless) and
4. Not getting killed (living in Dallas downtown and walking late night is the most effective way to get killed, next only to driving bike on the highway)

Indeed its a pleasure to be so close to the lab...imagine waking up at 8:15 in the morn ing and realising its 15 mins to the really crucial lecture...This is where living closeby figures as a significant advantage. The floor entrance to my lab is here:


Here is a pic of view from my lab floor (9th floor)

And my University :)

By the way I introduce here a new term which I coined - its called 'ALANDERING' and stands for AimLessly wANDERING. Its my favorite pastime. On weekends or wen I find a rare chunk of 10 hours useless time, I pick up my camera and head somewhere...nowhere...without any destination in mind. I use public transport - trains and buses, tains being my favorite. Its a great way to explore the city and get on and off wherever I want, watch people go about doing their daily activities. It feels great to not be a part of the system and instead 'watch' the system. The prof who tells his colleague about his work, the executive listening to his Mp3 player, the adolescent making out with his girl, the beggar asking for money (ya u do find beggars here!), the young girl reading the book, the slutty girl chewing gum with tall pointed high heel shoe and listening to mp3 giving me a weird look - people from different walks of life. Then again I head to the starbucks to pump up some caffeine and continue my ppl-watching. Sometimes I hang around reading books in trains which is really great experience. Travels like these introduce me to new people, places and exciting time. Its a whole new way to see a place. Esp the people are so much fun to b with when they are 'engaged' rather than passive watchers.

No comments: